As soon as our paperwork began its journey to China, we knew we had around 1 year to raise our funds. So we decided to host a garage sale on October 24-25. We had NO idea that we would be hosting the garage sale that we would have that week received a referral and made a decision. It added so much intimacy and excitement to the event.
Some of the cool events:
- Family donated items (good items) and my sisters and parents helped us put it on. Despite all the work, we had loads of fun!
- Neighbors and friends realized what we were doing and donated items (amazing items!).
- We raised almost $2000!
- God brought people to the garage sale that we were able to minister to – an adopted woman adopted by a not so good family… a Chinese neighbor down the street who heard the Gospel (and liked what he heard because he later brought gifts for our kids)… a woman who had tragically lost her child in an accident and we mourned together and rejoiced that we each had children with Jesus… and more.
- A local church that burned came to see if we had any books. We had several boxes of Christian books so the garage sale helped a church’s library.
Some of the not-so-cool events:
- It was a COLD weekend in October. Brrrrrrr….
- A couple of people actually stole things – even while knowing the event was to help an adoption. Oh well! One son learned a not so valuable lesson in ethics from his dad.
As a family we enjoyed our work together for a high purpose – bringing our daughter and sister home!